A few tips to protecting your spring blooms from the pests that love your tulip bulbs as much as you do:
1. Plant tulip bulbs deep, at least three times the height of the bulbs.
2. Clean up any evidence of planting. The scent of the bulb casings will attract diggers.
3. Sprinkle some fresh coffee grounds on the soil. Or spread a few moth balls around.
4. Place a metal screen over the bulbs until the ground is frozen.
5. Put out some “easy” food. Hanging peanut-filled feeders nearby trees often takes the focus away from the bulbs.